Monday, February 23, 2015

Thing #2

Camille and Ruby participate in an amazing program on Thursdays called Classical Conversations.  Camille has learned so much and grown so much in her spelling and writing abilities, her vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds, and she has developed a good stage presence.   Here is a video of Camille talking about the life of Mary Jemison, the White Woman of the Seneca.  Mary settled with the Seneca in Western NY which made her interesting to me since I spent many years there myself. Mary Jemison's story was recorded by a professional writer/interviewer while she was still alive at 80 years of age, so it is her story, told in her own voice.

I highly recommend her story as an interesting tidbit of history, especially for those interested in some history of Native Americans in Western NY.  Many young girls might enjoy the story, although maybe 13 and up due to graphic reports of violence committed against captives and victims of the Native Americans.  This was not a prejudiced/stereotypical view of the Native culture, but a factual telling of the events as she remembers them, while living with the Seneca people over 80 years.

I posted the video on my facebook page.  Hopefully, I will figure out how to load it here on Blogger soon.



No comments: